How do Dual Language Learners play?

As a part of my Honors Program, I had to write a thesis. I decided to look into a new field of study and conducted one of the first studies to ever document the play of Dual Language Learners with a low-proficiency in English.
Over the past year and a half, I have designed and conducted a research project surrounding the social-emotional development of Dual Language Learners. This research has allowed me to learn more about the support DLLs need to succeed in an English-speaking classroom, as well as to interact with teachers and families of all backgrounds. This research required me to work extensively with teachers and parents in a professional manner to understand different cultural backgrounds and how students interacted with their peers. I presented this research, both as part of professional development for a local preschool, as well as to future teachers through my university. I was able to travel to Atlanta, Georgia to present my research to teachers through the NAEYC, where I was able to engage in discussions about best practices for supporting Dual Language Learners in the classroom.

An article I wrote based on my thesis was published in the Early Childhood Education Journal. It is available online here.
Abstract:
Little research has been conducted on the play of children of very low English proficiency within English-speaking preschool classrooms. In the present investigation, we recorded and described the naturalistic free play of four dual language learners (DLLs) and compared their interactions to those of four English-speaking children. Units of interaction were identified, transcribed, named, and categorized. Illustrative transcriptions of individual interactions were selected and probed more deeply. The trustworthiness of the investigation was established by triangulating these qualitative findings with a quantitative measure of children’s social participation in play. Findings indicate that DLLs play and talk with peers less frequently, interact in less sustained and positive ways, and are more reliant on teachers to support their play than their English speaking peers. Implications for scaffolding DLLs’ play in classrooms and for future research are presented.


Article about my thesis: https://meritpages.com/stefylynndo?expand=10699937

Comments

Popular Posts